The Hobie mirage eclipse is the world’s first leg powered stand up board! This stand up pedal boards will let you fly across the water at a very high speed. They are incredibly stable while nimbly twisting and turning and carving up the waves with precision controls.
The popular stand-up board company Hobie has just released a new, immensely versatile stand-up pedalboard called the Hobie Mirage Eclipse. Their comprehensive drive system allows you to hop on and pedal your way to freedom.
With a solid, steady, and surprisingly natural feel, the board can fly across the top of the water at wild speeds! Easier to get the hang of more than any pedal board we’ve seen before, anyone should literally be able to hop on and start having fun right away. With complete steering control from the bicycle-style handlebars perched on top of the board, it’s very easy to maneuver.
If you’re not feeling the handlebars that day, you can even sit down and paddle it like you would for your typical SUP. For fitness, fun, and an experience like no other, the Hobie Mirage Eclipse is something we highly recommend trying out!
Hobie Mirage Eclipse Reviews
The propulsion system is very easy to get the hang of. Most people feel that you have to be a pro paddler to hop on this bad boy and get going, though that is not the case one bit!
The press-steering controls make it very easy to turn and maneuver. Any user will be surprised by how intuitive the control system is.
The rudder utilizes and automatic fold-up system so that when you begin to approach the shore, it won’t scrape against the sand and possibly break. Many of us when having fun can get caught up and forget to watch out for shallow points.
SPECS Of Hobie Mirage Eclipse Stand Up Board
- 10’6” in length
- Weight capacity of about 225 pounds
- 33.5 inches in width
- The fitted hull weight is 43.2 pounds
- The hull is an advanced composite epoxy construction (ACX)
- The entire weight of the full rig is 54 pounds
- Two choices of color: Solar Yellow or Lunar Blue
This is an awesome feature that can save your board from a very bad accident.
It comes equipped with rear tie downs and bungees so that you can attach coolers, crates, fishing gear, or anything else you might want to bring in to the water.
Have a couple of beers on the lake or pull out your fishing poles for some good fashioned fun without having to worry about lugging it yourself.
The board also allows you to lock up the rudder fins, as well as completely remove the handlebars with ease. This is great for those who just want to take this out on the water and paddle around like a SUP. In a way, it’s an all-in-one piece of equipment.
- It is an excellent cardio workout.
- The gym isn’t for everyone. Neither is running, cycling, yoga, etc.
- With the Hobie Mirage Eclipse, you can truly a full body workout.
- Plus, what’s better than breaking a sweat out on the water in the beautiful summer sun?
- Your legs will get a crazy good workout as you pedal through the water. If you decide not use the pedal option and paddle it like a regular SUP, your arms and core will be feeling the burn!
- It’s very portable. Hobie designed the pedal board to be taken apart very easily so that you can throw it in the back of your truck or on top of your car without any fuss or hassle.
- It slices through the water like a knife to butter. Seriously, this thing is super easy to pedal through the water and doesn’t feel clunky or stiff like some other water-related pedal mechanisms.
- We’d love to see room for more people on the board. It’s awesome for a solo rider, though a lot to bring out if you can’t share it with your kids, friends, or loved one.
- The price is pretty hefty. Many people don’t have more than two grand to invest in something like this, especially when most of your typical SUPs go for well under a thousand dollars.
- It is only configured to be a stand-up board. There are other pedalboards on the market that offer a place to sit for those who aren’t to keen on being on their feet for hours.
You may need a storage bag for your stand up board. That’s why I recommend you to buy Hobie Mirage Eclipse 12.0 Padded Storage Bag – 12ft. This Storage bag will take care of your board.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Question: IS IT DIFFICULT TO SET UP THE HOBIE MIRAGE ECLIPSE?
The process is actually quite simple and there are only 5 main parts you need to worry about. You start by plugging the handlebars into the hole at the front and turning the knob in either direction to lock them into place. Next, you can connect the steering lines to the steering cables by looping them around the balls connected to the steering cables.
The rudders are easily hooked into the rudder drum on the underside. The most difficult part is looping the bungee over the rudder to the hook on the front side of the rudder. This will make sure it is locked in position.
Lastly, the mirage drive is installed simply flipping the pedals forward and inserting straight down. The drive will lock automatically when installing properly.
2. Question: IS THERE ANY SELF-MAINTENANCE I CAN PERFORM TO ENSURE MY HOBIE MIRAGE ECLIPSE A LONGER LIFE?
You’ll always want to make sure that you keep your drive system nice and loose. This can be done with Hobie Multi-Lube. Secondly, you’ll want to make sure you check cable tension here and there. If you can squeeze the cables easily with firm finger pressure, the cables are too loose and should be tightened using the nuts on the drive.
Lastly, you’ll want to make sure to adjust your steering lines. There is a large section on how to do this in the Hobie Mirage Eclipse manual that goes way more in depth than we could here! We highly suggest you glance at it though if you care about prolonging your Hobie’s life.
3. Question: HOW CAN I GET THE PERFECT AMOUNT OF RESISTANCE FOR A WORKOUT?
Like you would an electronic stair stepper at the gym, you can adjust the resistance for the Hobie Mirage Eclipse. This can be done in two ways. One of them has to do with where you place your feet on the pedals. The higher up on the pedals (closer to the nose) you place your feet, the higher the resistance will be.
Secondly, you can remove your fin from the mast using the small key ring and pin. You’ll notice a big screw on the bottom of the mast. You can either tighten this screw to increase resistance or loosen the screw to decrease resistance. Put the fin back on when you’re done and you’re ready to go!
4. Question: CAN I LEAVE MY HOBIE TIED UP TO THE DOCK LIKE A KAYAK?
Absolutely not! Many people don’t want to haul their board up out of the water to their car after a long day out on the water. The issue is that, if left in the water for a long time, the water can penetrate the paint and cause osmotic blistering.
Things like sailboats, which are docked in the water almost always, are layered with a barrier paint coat that protects it from this sort of thing. Since you wouldn’t leave your fiberglass surfboard floating around in the water, you should treat your Hobie the same way.
5. DOES THE HOBIE Hobie MIRAGE ECLIPSE WORK IN ALL KINDS OF CONDITIONS?
The Hobie is best for lakes or oceans with softer waves and winds. The Hobie mirage eclipse can stand some wind, though as for waves, you won’t want to ride it if they’re anywhere above two feet. It’s a very stable board, though it ain’t no sailboat!
6. DOES THE HOBIE MIRAGE ECLIPSE HAVE ANY EXTRA ACCESSORIES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE?
Yes! The Hobie Mirage Eclipse actually has a pretty wide range of accessories to take your Hobie experience to the max! From board covers, to suction cup speakers, to a drive bag, and a SUP leash coil, Hobie makes about everything you could think of to go along with your board!
In all, the Hobie Mirage Eclipse is a new and inventive way to get out on the water! The stair stepping mechanism will put dirty gym stair masters to shame, while the fast and maneuverable epoxy design will make you feel like you’re walking on water.
With around seven decades of work under their belt, Hobie is a trusted and reliable brand that has been dishing out out-of-the-box products for quite some time. It’s an exciting new way to get exercise while riding solo or with the family. We highly recommend testing one of these bad boys out to get an experience like no other!